Newborn Screening Laboratory Information and Management system
International newborn screening guidelines recommend that all newborn babies are offered screening for Phenylketonuria (PKU), congenital hypothyroidism (CHT), Sickle Cell diseases (SCD), Cystic Fibrosis (CF) and medium chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase deficiency (MCADD). These screening tests are analysed from the same blood spots from the newborn screening period.
There may be a number of specific guidelines from your region (country) that need to be adhered to. Examples from the UK NBS guidelines are as follows :
- The sample should be taken between 5 to 8 days after birth
- The sample should be received in the laboratory within 4 working days of its collection date
- Repeat samples should arrive in the laboratory within 8 days of the repeat request having been made
The results of the screening tests are passed electronically to the Child Health Authority or and/or printed as a list.
Positive Result notifications and Repeat Requests are generated automatically via the Recall Letters module using a set of user definable rules, based upon patient, episode and result information. Finally, the Security System provides Newborn Screening users with the ability to record and search upon additional patient information such as Birth Weight and Ranking. Results may be viewed in results enquiry modules under the appropriate security privilege.
OMNI-Lab NBS Features
- Department specific security
- User defined Tests, Results and Comments
- Patient Registration with NBS specific data fields
- Accession/episode Registration
- Analytical Anlyser interfaces
- Child Health interfaces for demographics in ; Results out
- Integrated user defined Rules Wizard
- Worksheet module
- Letter Generation for follow up
- web based results reporting
- NBS Results web portal
- Q-Writer ad-hoc report and query generator
Follow Up Letter
Results Update Screen